Friday 16 July 2010

Samba




Much of my recent time has been spent being involved in samba related activities, costume making, parades, teaching workshops. And tomorrow comes another gig performing at Liverpool Night Time Carnival!

For the past 5 years I have been a member of Manchester School of Samba and I love it! I play a few different instruments, but I am an experienced player of a cutador surdo. If you have ever seen a brazilian samba band, you will have seen the large drums carried on the body with straps (my drum is about as tall as my mid-thigh), these are the surdos. Within the surdos there are different sounds, those that play your main beats and then the cutador which mostly plays the 'melody' part of samba.

The photo is from our last parade, when we performed at the Manchester Day Parade, and tomorrow we will be all kitted out in our costumes just like above, lets just hope it doesnt rain!


Luna x

No comments:

Post a Comment